Saturday, July 12, 2008

Yasaka Jinja Festival-- 八坂神社の夏祭り

I can't believe it's been a year already since the last Yasaka Festival. I didn't even know it existed before last year, even though I've been here for almost 4 years now. My dad was here last year and we saw it by coincidence. Well, today I heard the loud beat of the drum over the AC and decided to take a look outside. I was not disappointed! Down the street came the giant drum, pulled by a few dozen people. Following behind was the shrine being carried on shoulders. From the way it was weaving and jostling down the street, it must have been quite heavy! And behind that was a wagon-like vehicle being pulled mostly by small children (it took about 30 of the little boogers too!) that had a dancer, a drum-player, and a flute player on it. I didn't go down to the street this time. It was monstrously hot, and I saw it last year after all... I know--totally lazy. Unfortunately, I didn't have the presence of mind to take pictures until the last wagon, but I did get some pictures!


Here comes the last part of the procession. The station is at the far end of the street. This shot is from my front door on the seventh floor.

A close-up. The dancer is on the left, the drummer on the right front, and the flute player somewhere behind or inside. It was like 90+ degrees and 50% humidity or more. All of these guys were awesome!


Looking straight down. You can see a lot of the kids pulling the wagon.


More kids. The wagon's almost visible!

キター!It's here!

Going...

Going...
Gone. See you next year! (Well, maybe I won't, but anyway...)

6 comments:

sekihiker said...

Wow. That was a long trip. Gee. I wonder why you were feeling sick? Could it have been the three hours sleep the night before?

sekihiker said...

The parade pics brought back memories of last year when we got to beat the big drum. It was drizzling and not that hot last year.

esmeraldajane said...

You're right. It wasn't hot at all last year. I may post some of those pics too sometime.

katfinch said...

nice letter. Love, M.

katfinch said...

Hi, we are all off to Oregon. Great trip reporting. Love, M.

Susie said...

I could take pictures out my window, but there would probably be only delivery people and dogs :(. Oh well. Love you.