Sunday, August 26, 2012

COVET sweater knock-off ideas

i LOVE this sweater and want to make it mine! But i don't exactly have an extra $686 to spend on a ginormous cashmere sweater, so I'm going to try to break it down with some observations on how it might be done by hand.

INSPIRATION: Souchi Claudia Cashmere Cowl Neck Sweater
I've seen a few patterns on Ravelry that I think could work. This one looks good for the bottom of the sweater (everything but the cowl). I like the way it can go off the shoulders and has a wide neck opening. Plus, I'm pretty sure I have this particular magazine somewhere...
#21 Raglan Boatneck Sweater from Knit.1 Fall 2007
Next, the Multiplicity Sweater from Sensual Knits seems like a pretty close substitute as well, though many people who made the pattern themselves ended up frogging it or it came out weird. At least this person got it right!
Multiplicity Sweater

Lastly, this one seems like a dead ringer, though I'd want a much larger boatneck-like opening and longer sleeves to better match the inspiration.
Obsidian by Lisa Mutch
Observations about the original:
  • First of all, it's obviously got a lot of positive ease. The notes on the website say the model is even wearing a size larger than her normal size. 
  • It's got a waistband to adjust where the sweater hits the body.
  • Since the original is machine-knit, the cowl is knit side-to-side (might mimic the effect by knitting sideways ribbing--like a long scarf--and attach it to the collar).
I want it to be soft and airy like the original but not cost a fortune or take a lifetime to make. Lots of decisions and compromises to be made! It's all just in my head for now, but I would love to make something like this.

No comments: