Monday, August 11, 2008

My first ryokan!!!

Today (I'm actually writing this on Sept. 16th, but who cares?), Obaachan, Hisayo, Rie, Hirocchi, Shiho, and I all went to a ryokan in Wakayama. It's called QKamura (i think?) and it was about an hour by car from Udono. After arriving late in the afternoon, first we headed for the hot spring pools. I must admit, I was a bit nervous about getting naked in front of people I actually knew (I'd been in a hot spring once before but I went by myself, so the thought of embarrassment was abated), but it turned out to be pretty painless. The views from the baths were awesome! Right over the Pacific with flower-covered hillside leading down to the rocky water's edge. After relaxing for a bit, we changed into the hotel's yukata (you can see the Q's all over them) and went to the dining room for dinner.
Me and Obaachan, waiting to dig in.

Here's the delicious food after we ate. They all made fun of me. I was supposed to take a "before" shot, not an "after" one. I was hungry, ok?!


Our lovely room with 6 futons laid out for us. They put some cushy pads under the futon, so they were extra comfy.


Before bedtime, they had a small surprise for me. What can it be?


My very own yukata, picked out by Hisayo-obachan and Obaachan!! It was so pretty! They even gave me matching shoes to go with it. They are so sweet. I feel a little bit like a leech, especially since it's Hirocchi and Obaachan's birthday tomorrow, but I still have a few days to go! But more than anything, I'm grateful. THANK YOU!

Nighty night! Let's see what tomorrow brings.

(postdated 9/16/2008)

1 comment:

Susie said...

That looks like so much fun! I would get naked in front of my girl friends if it meant all that other good stuff :). They are so sweet. How nice to have such wonderful family.